The 2 melon varieties were transplanted on Monday so that means every rooftop container has been planted. I'm glad, now I no longer have to worry about the seedlings drying out in their little cups before I make it home from work.
2 Minnesota Midget melon plants are in the 16" round pots near the front chimney.
The Planet F1 peppers and the On Deck F1 corn are on a zero shade area of the roof. Once the plants get larger and the weather gets hotter they'll be moved to a shadier section.
The fabric is there to help slow down the wind.
Last weekend was extremely windy. The endless gusts did a real number on this pepper plant.
My one corn plant going strong. The second set of corn seeds have not yet appeared. If they don't sprout soon I'll plant soybean seeds in their place.
Brandy Boy F1 tomato.
Jasper F1 cherry tomato. The first set of blossoms has appeared.
Serenade F1 melon plants in the 16" round pots near the rear chimney on the western side of the roof.
Japanese Trifele Black tomato.
Ozark Beauty strawberry turning red.
Beaver Lodge tomato.
Giant Aconcagua pepper plants.
Yukon Gold potatoes. As the plants get taller I add more soil to the container, I think by early June it will be completely filled.
This is the only container on the roof without a water reservoir. I check it every day to make sure it hasn't dried out. I water it every 2 or 3 days depending the on the weather. On extremely windy or hot days it gets watered every day. The self watering containers are watered once a week. Daily watering of self watering containers doesn't happen until July.
Cosmonaut Volkov tomato. This plant also took a lot of damage last weekend. If you enlarge the photo you'll see lots of crispy leaves and bent or broken stems. Wind damage is unsightly, but fortunately not permanent or terminal. Plants will eventually grow tougher leaves and stems more suitable to the environment, this takes at least 3-4 weeks however, so until then crispy/shredded leaves and broken stems will be a common sight on the roof.